St. Luke's Church, Bold Place (Berry Street) Liverpool
1831 - 1959
The building of the church was begun when the foundation stone was laid in April 1811 on land granted for the purpose by the Earl of Derby c. 1791.
The actual building of the church to be called St. Luke's was subject to various lengthy interruptions. An increase in population and the resulting need for additional church accommodation brought about the passage of the 'Act for erecting and endowing a Church in the Town of Liverpool situated on the east side of Berry Street. The church was finally completed and was consecrated on 12th Jan. 1831 In May 1941 the church was gutted by fire caused through enemy action. According to entries in the Registers, services were then held in 'borrowed' accommodation e.g. St. Bride's Church, St. Catherine's Parish Hall etc. until 1944 when a small extension was built and St. Luke's was again used for its own services. Although the parish of St. Luke's is still in existence (May 1969) no services have been held in St. Luke's church since 1961.
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 LUK|
|Baptisms||1831 - 1959|
|Marriages||1831 – 1940|
|Banns||1884 - 1937|
|Other||1862 - 1916|