Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel
After Pitt Street (1750) Mount Pleasant was the second Wesleyan chapel to be opened in Liverpool. A ‘plain building but well adapted to the purposes of public worship’ it was erected in 1790 in a new, expanding district of the town to serve those families who found the Pitt Street Chapel remote and distasteful.
Nevertheless, when in 1825 it became a member church of the South Circuit, its membership of 590 was only two-thirds that of Pitt Street. The character of the neighbourhood changed rapidly and the services became more spontaneous and evangelistic. The remaining influential families left with the opening of Grove Street Chapel in 1859 when it was proposed to close Mount Pleasant; however, the building was retained as a mission.
In 1875, it transferred to the new Liverpool Methodist Mission Circuit and was reconstructed in 1884 at a cost of £2,682 with seating for 780 persons. Its position led to its being renamed ‘Central Hall’ in 1889 with a lay missioner in charge.
Following the opening of the new Central Hall in nearby Renshaw Street the Mount Pleasant building closed for worship in 1905.
Source: Liverpool Record Office, reference 287 LMM