St Swithin’s Roman Catholic Church
St Swithin’s church earlier known as the Gillmoss Chapel, was originally formed around c.a. 1757. The original chaplaincy was run by the Benedictine monks, this ended in 1768, when the first Earl of Sefton had a house built at the end of a Gillmoss Farm, converting some of the room’s into a Chapel.
A new church was built in 1824, this was superseded by the existing modern church, which was built to serve the new council built housing estates built in the 1950’s to accommodate the migration of the population from Central Liverpool.
The church is now closed and is being used as a business centre.