Everton (1887 – 1970)
The foundation stone of the church of St. Benedict was laid on the 22nd January 1886 by Colonel Alexander Hargreaves Brown M. P., a partner in the local banking firm of Brown, Shipley & Company and grandson of Sir William Brown, the benefactor of the William Brown Library and Museum in Liverpool.
Built to an ‘exceptionally good’ design by C. Deacon of the architects Aldridge & Deacon and erected at Col. Brown’s expense as a successor to an iron mission church, St. Benedict’s was consecrated for worship on the 2nd August 1887. Standing near the old village, the building was located at the junction of Kepler and Heyworth Streets, Everton whilst the parish was created out of parts of the parishes of St. George and St. Saviour.
In 1970, several of the Everton parishes were re-combined. St. George’s became the main church of the united parishes while St. Benedict’s was declared redundant in 1972 and demolished in 1976. However, some of the contents were saved as the fine pitch pine pews were used to refurbish St. Luke’s, Great Crosby following a fire at that church in 1972.
The St. Benedict parish record collection includes Baptism registers 1878 – 1970 and marriage registers 1888 – 1970.
Also located in Kepler Street was St Benedict’s school which opened in 1899. This institution began admitting pupils in 1896 and by 1900 accommodated 252 boys and girls together with 118 infants. The record collection includes school admission and withdrawal registers for 1896 – 1929. The term ‘Removed’ is used frequently in the withdrawal registers. This appears to indicate the physical removal of a child to another locality rather it being used as a term of opprobrium.
Source: Liverpool Record Office, reference 283 BEN