St. Augustine's Church, Shaw Street
The parish of St Augustine’s covered the length of Haigh street toward Everton Brow, It went a little way up Everton Brow then Ran up Rupert Lane to Heyworth street. From here it ran down Heyworth street and all the way down Everton Road to Bright Street. From there the line ran down Kinder Street through Greenside, across Islington Square and back into Haigh Street.
Incorporated within the Parish were the following streets… (In no particular order), Shaw st., Greenside., College st. North., College St. South., Westbourne st., Alma St., Kinder St., Bright St., Gregson St., Napier St., Willmott St., Well St., Radcliffe St., Cobden St., Lytton St., Exmouth St., Guilford St., Back Guilford St., Plumpton St., Eastbourne St., Fitzclarence St., Rupert Hill., Prince Rupert Street. Village Grove., Village St., Rupert lane and Kerferd St.,
The Parish was defined from a “Map of Church of England Parishes Liverpool & District C.1900” By Liverpool Library
The graphic is from a Liverpool Street map Circa 1890’s
St. Augustine's was consecrated on the 9th July 1830. In 1893 the church was considerably altered with a chancel and vestry being added and an organ installed. The church was re-consecrated on the 20th October 1893. The church, church hall and vicarage were destroyed by enemy action on the 4th May 1941, although it seems that services continued until the 14th Sep of that year. Thereafter services were transferred to St. Timothy's and the two parishes and that of St. Peter with St. Ambrose and All Saints later amalgamated.
The site of the church was sold by the Diocesan Reorganisation Committee to the Corporation of Liverpool for a nominal sum and the Sarah McArd Day Nursery was later built there.
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Date||1830 - 1941|
|Extent||25 volumes, 56 documents|
|Related Material||Brief notes on the church appear in the 'Liverpool Review', 21st April 1894, page 6|
|Access Conditions||The following registers are available on microfilm only - 283 AUG 2/1 - 2/1, 283 AUG 3/1 - 3/7, 283 AUG 5/1 - 5/2, 283 AUG 5/4
The rest of the collection is open to any accredited reader
Records and History courtesy of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries
Visit Liverpool Libraries online catalogues at http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk