St. Ambrose Church
later St. Ambrose with All Saints
Prince Edwin Street, Everton
The Parish boundary of St Ambrose in Everton runs up Fox Street and a small part of Great Homer street, from Everton Brow to Sheriden Street. Up Sheriden street and through Cornwall Street to Netherfield Road South. It runs right down Netherfield Road South to Everton Brow and then down the Brow and back to Fox Street.
The parish incorporates the following streets (Not in any particular order)
Fox Street, Great Homer Street, Clegg Street, Sheriden Street, Everton Crescent, Everton Brow, Bute Street, Upper Bute Street, Watmough Street, Rothsay Street, Garden Lane, Roden Street, Douro Street, Strickland Street, Upper Beau Street, Prince Edwin Lane, Prince Edwin Street, Beresford Street, Sherriff Street, Illiad Street, Clifton Street, Cornwall Street, China Street, Part of Thorncliffe Street, Kermode Street and Ebor Street.
The Parish was defined from a “Map of Church of England Parishes Liverpool & District C.1900” By Liverpool Library
The above graphic is from a Liverpool Street map Circa 1890’s.
St. Ambrose's Church was consecrated on 30 December 1871. In 1939 the parishes of St. Ambrose and All Saints were amalgamated; in 1942 this new parish was united with St. Peter's Everton to form the parish of St. Peter with St. Ambrose and All Saints. In consequence of the destruction of St. Peter's Church by enemy action in World War II, St. Ambrose became the parish church and not St. Peter's as originally planned. In 1957 the parishes of St. Peter with St. Ambrose and All Saints, St. Timothy and St. Augustine were united into the parish of St. Ambrose with St. Timothy. The church closed in 1961, and a new church (the remodelled church hall) was consecrated on 11 May 1961.
The first register of baptisms, to 1876, and the first register of marriages, to 1889, were not received in The Liverpool library at the time of the deposit of the other registers. The register of baptisms, 24 May 1842 - 8 Aug 1948, can be found in 283 PTR 2/11 and the register of marriages, 9 May 1942 - 1 Apr 1945, can be found in 283 PTR 3/12. Although the register of banns was continued until 1967 (see 283 AMB 5/1), the register of baptisms and marriages were continued in the registers of St. Timothy's (283 TIM).
In 1974 the benefices and parishes of St. Ambrose with St. Timothy, St. Polycarp and Holy Trinity were united into the new benefice and parish of St. Peter, Everton (see the 'London Gazette', 27Oct 1974).
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 AMB|
|Date||1876 - 1968|
|Access Conditions||Some registers are available on microfilm only|
Records and History courtesy of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries
Visit Liverpool Libraries online catalogues at http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk