1825 - 1898
Low Hill Necropolis was a proprietary cemetery which opened early in 1825 on a site covering approximately five acres. Management was vested in a ‘Committee of Proprietors of Low Hill General Cemetery’ the Trusts being defined in a deed of 9th March 1825. The cemetery was designed by the Liverpool Corporation architect and surveyor John Foster Junior (1787-1846) while the grounds were laid out by Mr. Shepherd, Curator of the Botanic Gardens.
The first burial took place on the 1st February 1825 and after this the cemetery was used largely by nonconformists. By 1896, the number of burials in the Necropolis had caused serious unsanitary conditions in the surrounding area which led to the closure of the cemetery for interments on the 31st August 1898. Responsibility for the site was transferred to Liverpool Corporation the following day.
On the 22nd April 1914 the Corporation re-opened the site as an ornamental garden named after Alderman J. R. Grant, J.P., sometime chairman of the Corporation Parks and Gardens Committee.
Source: Liverpool Record Office, reference 352 CEM/2