Until 1812 there was no Anglican church at Edge Hill. The population was, however, growing rapidly. In 1812 Mr. Edward Mason purchased a plot of land to build a church from Bamber Gascoyne Esq.
The foundation stone was laid on 14th Jan 1812, and the church, dedicated to St. Mary was opened for Divine Service 14th March 1813. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 25th Sep 1813.
For further information on the early history of the church see G. Hand's, 'The History of Edge Hill', chapter 3, 1915.