A chapelry in the parish of WALTON on the HILL, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 1 mile (S.E.) from Liverpool. The population is returned with the parish.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester. E. Mason, Esq. was patron in 1823.
This is a pleasant village, situated on rising ground on the road to Wavertree and Childwell: the Liverpool Botanic Garden is in the vale beneath, and at a short distance from it.
A chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, has been recently erected.
There is a place of worship for Baptists.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. II, London, 1831.
Entered here 5 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.