St Michael-in-the-Hamlet, Aigburth
1876 - 1990
St. Michael's was consecrated on 21st June 1815, its first service becoming one of thanksgiving for victory at the Battle of Waterloo.
When built St. Michael's was the only church standing between St. James, Toxteth and St. Michael, Garston. A church had been 'greatly wanted for several years past, many of the resident Famiies in and about Toxteth Park being unable to attend Public Worship regularly, owing to their great distance from any Church...' John Cragg presented 'a Plot of Land' and undertook to erect a church 'upon a Gothic design'. The Church was a Chapel of Ease to the parish of Walton but St. Michael's became a parish in its own right in 1898, the parish boundaries being Dingle Lane, Tramway Road, Aigburth Road and the river Mersey.
The 1815 Act described the church as 'a handsome Gothic Building' and it was also the second of Liverpool's 'cast iron churches'. Its builder, John Cragg, was principal partner in the Mersey Iron Foundry in Tithbarn Street and its architect, Thomas Rickman, was committed to a revival of Gothic design. Cast iron was used where ever possible in the construction of the church, from its frame to intricate Gothic mouldings and ornamental work, both internal and external.
photograph courtesy of Paul Christian at Toxteth.net
|Repository:||Liverpool Record Office|
|Ref No||283 HAM|
|Baptisms||1815 - 1909|
|Marriages||1815 - 1916|
|Burials||1815 – 1941|