The following brief history of Cleggs Lane Methodist Church was extracted from a poster prepared by a church member in 2000. Wesleyan Methodist church leaders from Walkden originally opened a Sunday school and mission above a shop on Manchester Road West in the area of Little Hulton known as Streetgate. In due course a building on Cleggs Lane was constructed over a period of three months at a cost of about £700, and opened on the 31 August 1878 to serve as a Sunday school and Chapel. The building with its original pitch pine seating and accommodation for 180 persons still stands. During the 50 years subsequent to 1878 the building was extended by the construction of a Sunday School hall with classrooms and a young men’s room. In 1921 four acres of derelict land at the rear of the Sunday School was bought and turned into a recreation area consisting of a cricket ground, two tennis courts, a croquet lawn and a bowling green. The first organ was installed in 1894 before which time a harmonium or a string band accompanied the singing. The present organ was installed in 1936 and is the only pipe organ in the Farnworth & Worsley Methodist circuit. The Church hall is used regularly by local organisations and Local Authority Organisations.
The project to make a digital record of the registers of Cleggs Lane Methodist church and place them on LAN-OPC was initiated and carried out by church member Brian Reece. Formal permission to publish the data was given by the Rev Philip Brooks BA, MA on behalf of the Church Council.
26 Sep 2010