Photograph (ref 32984) by kind permission and © of
Oldham Local Studies and Archives, Feb 2012
St John the Baptist, Hey was founded in 1742, at a time when fines were levied for non-attendance at church. The new church meant the villagers did not have to travel the four miles to the Parish church in Ashton-under-Lyne. It is built of local stone, and has been extensively restored after a fire destroyed much of the interior in 1987.The cupola was short-listed for the John Betjeman prize in 1991.