Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young
BILLINGTON-LANGHO, a township-chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, 5½ miles NNE of Blackburn. It has a station, of the name of Langho, on the railway; and its Post Town is Whalley, under Blackburn. Acres - 2,960. Real property - £4,719. Population - 1,038. Houses - 205. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton-weavers. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £38.
From: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
The church, which is dedicated to St Leonard, is in Old Langho Road, Old Langho. It was founded in 1557 and replaced by a new church, also dedicated to St Leonard and located in Whalley Road, Langho, in 1880. The original St Leonard’s is now closed, and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
There is also a Methodist church in Whalley Road, and a Catholic church in York Lane.