On the 3rd December 1836 and 20th January 1837, William Howe the Minister of the Congregation of Dissenting Protestants at St Paul’s Chapel in Hindley, signed the certificates to accompany the Birth and Baptism Register which was then sent to the ‘Commissioners for enquiring into the State, Custody and Authenticity of Non-parochial Registers’, to be archived. It was stated that the register extended over the period 1811 to 1836, and had been in the custody of congregation member Mr James Jolly from 1811 until the appointment of William Howe in 1832, from when it was kept in the chapel vestry. The denomination of the chapel was stated to be Independent, and founded in 1815. The principle acting trustees and deacons were named as John Walls? and Wm. Livsey. The baptism and birth records presented here have been extracted from an LDS film of the register which is now housed in the Public Record Office London. The chapel built in 1815 was replaced in 1910 by a new red brick building, which still exists but is now a shop and warehouse for fishing tackle.