Before the Reformation there was a chapel at Lowe in Hindley; but the Langtons probably claimed it as private property, and then allowed it to decay.
The next church in Hindley was erected in 1641 on land given be George Green, subscriptions being collected for the building from inhabitants. It was built with the approbation of the rector of Wigan, then Bishop Bridgeman; there was a chancel at the east end, and the Established services were adhered to, one of the Wigan curates officiating. The place was, as early as 1643, regarded as Puritan, and its first regular minister, Thomas Tonge conformed readily to the Presbyterian discipline established a few years later. He was succeeded by William Williamson, and he by James Bradshaw, ejected in 1662 for noncomformity. The chapel seems to have remained unused for six years, and then a succession of curates followed; some of the feoffees were Noncomformists or sympathizers, and thus conforming ministers had probably an uneasy time. In 1690 a determined attempt was made to secure the chapel for the Dissenters, their worship now being tolerated by the appointment of Thoma Whally, an open Nonconformist. The matter was finally into the Duchy Court; after a long trial the chapel was secured for the Establishment and consecrated in 1698 on All Saintís Day. It was rebuilt in 1766, and with some alterations remains in use. It is now known as All Saintís Church. The church property is still in the hands of the trustees, but the curates and vicars since 1708 have been appointed by the rectors of Wigan. There is a mission chapes called St. Augustines.
St. Peterís, Hindley, was consecrated in 1866, the patronage being vested in trustees. To the recent churches of St. Nathaniel, Platt Bridge (1905), and St. John the Evnagelist, Hindley Green (1903), the Bishop of Liverpool collates.
The Wesleyan Methodists acquired land in 1846, and built a chapel in 1851. Another chapel was built in 1869 in Walthew Lane, Platt Bridge. The United Methodist Free Church have two chapels at Hindley Green [is] Brunswick Chapel, built in 1855, and another in 1866. The Primitive Methodists have one at Castle Hill, builtin 1856, and another at Platt Bridge, built in 1854. The Independent Methodists have one at Lowe Green, built in 1867.
The Particular Baptists built Ebenezer Chapel in Mill Lane in 1854.
The Congregationalists made a first effort in 1794, but no church was formed until 1812; St. Paulís Chapel was built in 1815, meetings for worship having been held some years earlier in cottages. Certain differences between the minister, the Rev. William Turnere, and the majority of the congregation cause dhim to resign in 1830; his friends opened a temporary church in 1838, where he officiated until 1862.
The ejected Presbyterians of 1698 built another place of worship for themselves; it has been continuously used, the present congregation being Unitarian in doctrine.
Nothing is known of the permanence of the ancient religion during the 17th century, but mass was probably said at Lowe Hall as opportunity was afforded. Dom John Placid Acton, a Benedictine, was stationed at this place in 1699 and died there in 1727; succeeding priests, who till 1758 resided chiefly at Park Hall in Charnock Richard, or at Standish Hall, moved the chapel to Strangeways and then to HIndley village; this change was made in 1789. From 1758 there has been a resident Benedictine priest in charge; and the present church of St. Benedict in Market Street was built in 1869.