All Saints, Hindley
Hindley All Saints parish church is located on Chapel Fields Lane at OS Grid reference SD 622042.
A chapel was founded on the site in 1641, becoming an established Anglican church in 1698. The current brick church was built in 1766 to replace the original building which had been demolished in 1764. Further interior restoration was carried out in 1888 when the original box pews were replaced. Hindley was formerly a chapelry in Wigan Parish but became a parish in its own right in 1878 with the first vicar, the Revd. C.G. Hopkinson, appointed in July that year.
The registers of Hindley All Saints from 1698-1948 were filmed at the church in 1948 by the LDS, with the permission of the vicar. In May 2008 the current vicar, the Revd. John Taylor gave permission to the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project to transcribe the registers, and we gratefully acknowledge his support.
The graveyard served as the cemetery for Hindley township till the large municipal cemetery on Castle Hill was opened in 1880. As a consequence, there are many entries in the burial registers where the words Papist, Romanist or Silent Funeral were written when no Anglican minister attended the funeral.