Higham is situated on the south side of Pendle Hill between the towns of Padiham and Nelson, in what is now the Borough of Pendle.
Higham had a Church of England worshipping community in 1837 using the National School until a church was built in 1872 on land donated by Le Gendre Starkie of Huntroyde. It was dedicated to St John the Evangelist and opened in 1874. Eventually a new school was built and the National School became the Village Hall.
The Church was originally a daughter church of St Leonards Padiham until 2001 when it became a parish in its own right. It is now a joint benefice with St Anne’s Fence.
But Higham was always a big dissenting village and a Methodist Chapel was built in 1812, although Higham is mentioned in the Howarth Methodist Circuit in 1749. A Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1872 which closed in 1980 and was demolished in 1983. The graveyard remains just off Main Street.