St Anne, Haughton
© Copyright Alexander P Kapp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Saint Anne’s church was built in 1881 by the renowned architects J M and H M Taylor. The brothers built several Anglican churches for the growing population around Manchester in the second half of the 19th century. Many of these churches are now listed buildings owing to their unusual and individual design, and the church of St Anne is their best known work.
The church, rectory, lychgate and perimeter wall are all listed buildings and were designated as being in their own Conservation Area by Tameside Council in 1992.
The church, which is built of varied, contrasting bricks with a red clay tiled roof, is based on the design of an 11th century Norwegian timber framed church. Some of its unusual features include a pyramid shaped roof to the tower and a separate octagonal stair turret with a conical roof.
The rectory was designed to complement the church and was built in a Gothic style using similar materials.