Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young
HAMBLETON, a township-chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 3 miles NE of Poulton r. station, and 7-1/2 miles WSW of Garstang. Post-town, Great Eccleston, under Garstang. Acres, 1,603; of which 280 are water.
Real property, £2,493. Pop., 366. Houses, 88. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J.B. Weld, Esq. A fine bridge over the Wyre here was erected in 1864. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £102. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkham. The church was rebuilt in 1709. There is a national school, with £8 from endowment.
From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, John Marius Wilson, Edinburgh: 1872, Vol. 1, page 848.
Entered here 30 May 2006 by Lynn Ransom Burton.