HALTON, a township and parish in the barony, division, and polling district of Lancaster, poor law union of Caton, and the south of the sands portion of the Hundred of Lonsdale, comprising two divisions, Halton and Aughton, covering 3,677 statute acres. The village of Halton is 2 ½ miles E. N. E. of Lancaster. A Roman altar has been found here; a Saxon cross stands in the churchyard, and there are traces of a Saxon castle, - a Danish cup and a large number of Danish coins have been discovered. Halton was a barony in Saxon times. A court baron is held. Halton Hall is beautifully situated near the Lune. The church, dedicated to St Wilfrid, existed prior to 1017, rebuilt in the 14th century and 1792, living a rectory, patronage variable, annual value £479: an episcopal chapel at Aughton, St George’s, date 1697, patron Rector of Halton. Here are two cotton manufactories, employing 65 hands. The Lancaster canal passes to the west. Population 1801, 823; 1811, 776; 1821, 1,027; 1831, 834. The schools at Halton and Aughton are slightly endowed: in 1833 there were 3 daily and 3 sunday schools. Two-thirds of the land is arable, average rent per acre £1. 10s. Free stone is quarried, and there is a mineral spring. Annual value of property 1815, £7,099; 1829, £5,232.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.