SANKEY (Great), a township and a chapelry in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Sankey canal, the Grand Junction railway, and the Warrington and Liverpool railway, 2½ miles W of Warrington; and has a station on the latter railway, and a post-office under Warrington, both of the name of Sankey-Bridges. Acres, 1,909. Real property, £3,842. Pop., 563. Houses, 108. The manor belongs to the Hon. L. Powys. Barrow Hall is the residence of J. A. Wright, Esq. railway viaducts here cross the S. canal; and that of the Grand Junction railway has 9 arches. The chapelry was originally conterminate with the township, but was greatly extended in 1865. Pop., 1,347. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Hon. L. Powys. The church is an old brick building. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
The Register Office covering the Great Sankey area is Warrington Cheshire.
For probate purposes prior to 1858, Great Sankey was in the Archdeaconry of Chester, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Chester are held at:-
The Lancashire Record Office,
Lancashire. PR1 2RE UK
For Additional information see:-
The Local Channel