Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young
There has been early existence of Christianity in Freckleton since before the late seventh century, however in 1541 following the Reformation, Freckleton became part of the new diocese of Chester from the ‘mother church’ at St. Michaels, Kirkham.
The foundation stone of Holy Trinity Parish Church was laid on 31st July 1837, the church was completed and consecrated on 13th June 1838. On 21 January 1846 it became a church of ease to St. Pauls Church at Warton, and the first resident curate Rev. C. H. Waterfall was appointed, he remained only one year and was succeeded by the Rev. Walter Scott, who became the first Vicar of Freckleton when Holy Trinity became the Parish Church. Stained glass windows in the church portray parishioners who had taken an active role in church matters.
The exterior of the present church is essentially the same building as that begun in 1837. apart from the necessary removal in 1976 of the original tower and replacement with an 18ft hexagonal bell-cote and gilded cross in 1980. The interior has been considerably altered with the removal of the original wooden box pews and replaced with modern chairs The Jacobean pulpit is the church's most prized possession. It was originally made in 1633 by Robert Weaver at a cost of £10, for Kirkham church.
In 1932 the churchyard was enlarged for the first time since 1896, then again in 2000. The communal grave of the victims of the 1944 air disaster is sadly the most prominent monument of all.
Copyright 2004 freckleton.org – community web site