'The Farnworth and Worsley Methodist Circuit records that the first Primitive Methodist chapel in Farnworth was opened in 1840 and replaced by a larger building on Queen Street in 1861. After 1972 the church was demolished and the congregation was incorporated in the newly built, shared Trinity Church on Market Street.
The New Organ
The following story and photograph was provided by Sam Stones, the great grandson of Mrs Annie Duckworth who ceremonially unlocked the newly installed organ at Queen Street Primitive Methodist Church in 1908. The text comes from the Farnworth Journal 31 Jan 1908.
The Farnworth Primitive Methodists have taken advantage of the opportunity afforded by the purchase of a new organ by the parent church at Little Hulton, to secure the instrument just relinquished by that church, and have passed theirs on to the new church in Memorial-rd Walkden. The cleaning and renewing have been most thorough and the instrument is believed to be almost as perfect as if it was quite new. Its handsome casing harmonises well with the interior of the Queen-st. edifice.
The opening ceremony took place on Wednesday evening, when in the crowded congregation were a large number of visitors from Walkden and Little Hulton. The organ was unlocked by Mrs Duckworth, who was accompanied by her daughter. She was presented with a key by Mr W B Rushton, and expressed a hope that the music rendered upon the instrument would bring inspiration to the hearts of those who attended there to worship. The dedicatory prayer was offered by the Rev. G A Lucas and a recital was given by Mr Arthur Picket, of Leicester. His selections were of a classical nature, and calculated to show the full compass and power of the instrument, and they proved that it was one which any church might be proud.