A township in the parish of BOLTON, hundred of SALFORD, county palatine of LANCASTER, 5-1/2 miles (N.N.E.) from Bolton, containing 1,729 inhabitants.
The Independents have a place of worship here. There are several establishments in the neighbourhood for spinning and printing cotton. A school-room for the education of poor children, and a dwelling-house for the master, were erected in 1804, by subscriptions amounting to £500.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. II, London, 1831.
Entered here 5 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.