A chapelry in that part of he parish of WHALLEY which is in the higher division of the hundred of BLACKBURN, county palatine of LANCASTER, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Clitheroe, containing 620 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £10 per annum and £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty. Earl Howe was patron in 1818.
The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter.
Ralph Assheton, by will without date, gave £110 to be laid out in land for the support of a school, the income arising from which is £26 a year; of this sum, £21 is appropriated to the instruction of fifteen children, and the rest is retained for repairs: adjoining the school-room are apartments for the master.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis,Vol.1,London,1831,p.69.
Entered here 29 August 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.
NOTE: The above Dictionary states St Peter as the church, though this church is actually dedicated to St Leonard. This would appear to be an error in this usually authoritative Dictionary.