St Lawrence was founded in 1468.
Originally the timber-framed structure was neither a parish church nor dedicated to St. Lawrence. It began as a chapel of ease for the medieval manor of Denton within the Parish of Manchester, dedicated to St. James. It became a parish church under the name St. Lawrence in 1839.
The Church was dedicated to St. Lawrence as a result of the discovery within the structure of fragments of glass depicting the martyrdom of St. Lawrence. These fragments are now incorporated into a window on the south side of the sanctuary.