A chapelry in the parish of ALDINGHAM, hundred of LONSDALE, north of the sands, county palatine of LANCASTER, 2-1/2 miles (S.S.E.) from Dalton. The population is returned with the parish.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Aldingham.
The chapel, erected by Robert Dickenson, in 1642, was rebuilt about fifty years ago, at the expense of Thomas Green, Esq., of Gray’s Inn, London.
Robert Dickenson, in 1644, also founded a school, with an endowment of £200, in augmentation of which, John Simpson, in 1770, bequeathed £10, and Thomas Troughton, in 1774, left the interest of £100: Simpson’s endowment has been lost, but the dividends arising from the other bequests are paid to the curate, who keeps the school.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. II, London, 1831, page 20.
Entered here 2 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.