The Church of St Cuthbert
St Cuthbert's was built in 1875Ė1878 to a design by Paley and Austin of Lancaster. The tower was added in 1907/1908. It was designated as a Grade II listed building in September 1984. It is in the archdeaconry of Blackburn and the Deanery of Blackburn with Darwen. Both the parish and benefice are now called Darwen St Cuthbert with Tockholes St Stephen.
The Church of England Schools at Earcroft, Lower Darwen, in connection with St Stephenís Tockholes, were built in 1864/5 under the attention of Rev. W. M. Haslewood, Vicar of Tockholes. Here began a Mission which resulted in the formation of the new parish of St Cuthbert, carved out of the four parishes of St Stephen Tockholes, St James Over Darwen, St James Lower Darwen and Holy Trinity Darwen (now St Peterís Church). Rev. F. E. Broderick M.A. was appointed curate in charge of the Earcroft Mission in 1867. In 1871 a new school was opened at Hollins Grove and in the following year Rev. W. G. Procter B.A. succeeded Mr. Broderick. The site on which the church stands was the gift of the Rev. Charles Greenway, along with a donation of £500. Miss Charlotte Greenway, his daughter, laid the foundation stone on 14th August 1875. The cost of the church was £6000 and this amount was raised by subscriptions. The building was consecrated by Bishop Fraser.
The church is gothic in style and is built in sandstone with slate roofs. There is a tower at the west end, a nave with aisles, a chancel and a vestry. There are transepts to the north and south of the nave. The rectangular tower has three stages and a gabled roof. There are clock faces high on each side of the tower. At the north-east corner of the tower, where it joins the nave, there is a polygonal turret. The west wall of the tower has a pair of large windows with transoms and tracery. There are also belfry windows on that wall. The windows of the clerestoried nave have two lights and cinquefoil heads. There is a five-light east window in the chancel with tracery.
The church does not have a graveyard, but there is now an area by the north door where ashes can be buried.
This church is currently united with the parish of St Stephen, Tockholes.
St Chadís Hall was built in 1864 in the Earcroft district of Lower Darwen, probably as a mission church and school. Once St Cuthbertís was built the congregation moved from Earcroft. In 1897 a cloakroom extension was added to St Chadís school. In 1963 the property became industrial premises.
A parish hall built in 1964 on land adjoining St Cuthbertís Church, Earnsdale Road, Darwen, was also named St Chadís Hall. It was demolished in July 2002 and part of the land was sold off for building. Another portion was retained as a car park for the church.