Dalton was a chapelry in Wigan Parish until 1877 when it became a parish in its own right.
The foundation stone at the church was laid 29th Sep 1825. In the entry way to the church is a plaque which reads 'Following a fire in 1988 this church was restored by Messrs. T.C. Jackson & Sons to a re-ordered design by Anthony Grimshaw, Architect. It was re-dedicated to the Glory of God by The Right Reverend David Sheppard Lord Bishop of Liverpool on 3rd June 1991.
Church and Graveyard