click to return to 
Coppull Home & Contents

The Parish of Coppull
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

click to return to Lancashire Home

Coppull

A chapelry in the parish of STANDISH, hundred of LEYLAND, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Chorley, containing 1,017 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Standish.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. I, London, 1831, Page 510.

Entered here 4 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.

HISTORY

 
Coppull Parish Church
Coppull Parish Church
Photos were kindly provided by Anne Swindells and are used with permission, 2004.

Coppull Parish church does not have a dedication and has reportedly been in existence since 1094 although it is likely that the original location was further west than the current site. A new chapel was built in 1650 but by the early 1700's it had fallen into disuse and the building had become a stable.

In 1758 the original chapel was pulled down and rebuilt in brick. By 1842 the Coppull chapel had become the parish church for Coppull, Charnock Richard and Welch Whittle. This cut the relationship with St. Wilfrid's at Standish. As such, many residents in the area may have parish records in Coppull as well as Standish, so it is recommended to consult the Online Parish Clerk page for Standish as well as here.

For further information about Coppull Parish Church the following site is recommended:

Coppull Parish Church Web Site

and for information about the village go here:

Coppull Village

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Coppull was in the Archdeaconry of Chester, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Chester are held at the Lancashire Record Office.

There is a second church in Coppull called St. John the Divine with parish records dating from 1912. A photo of the church is included below but no further information on the church is currently available. However, it should be noted that Thomas Cruddas Porteus was the vicar of St. John the Divine, Coppull between 1912 and 1934, and was also a notable local historian. His "History of the Parish of Standish" has been widely quoted in almost all of the subsequent books relating to Standish history, and he also wrote other notable books such as "Captain Myles Standish", "Calendar of Standish Deeds 1230-1575" and "The Hundred of Leyland".

 
St. John the Divine, Photos were kindly provided by Anne 
Swindells and are used with permission, 2004.
St. John the Divine
Photos were kindly provided by Anne Swindells and are used with permission, 2004.

Coppull Home & Contents ©Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks

Lancashire Home