Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young
Clifton-with-Salwick was one of the 18 townships that made up the Parish of Kirkham and many of the early records may have been recorded in the Kirkham registers. It was stated as having over 3000 acres of arable, grassland and woodland which was five times the size of Kirkham itself and it remains an agricultural area to this day. Clifton gives its name to the chief local family, several members of which were hostile to the Reformation and were heavily fined, during the Civil War many were on the King’s side.
'Lund' derives from the Old Norse lundr and Old Swedish lunder, both of which mean a grove or copse; but Lund doesn't exist as a place in Lancashire and most Lancastrians know the area as Clifton.
Early records show the Chapelry of Lund was established before the Reformation and it is mentioned in a report made to the Bishop of Chester in 1669. Although it is reputed that a Chapel stood on the site in 1517 it was not till the 18th century that the chapel at Lund was regularly used for service, with Charles Foster named as one of the first Curates. Edward Robinson and others, invested £80 in 1648 in land in Freckleton and 50s. per year of the rent was to be paid to the minister of Lund.
The current church, St John the Evangelist, dates from 1824 when the nave was built and It was later extended in 1852 with the addition of a sanctuary, and again in 1873 when the 60 foot high tower was added as a memorial to the first vicar, Revd Richard Moore. It is sited on Church Lane, Clifton 3 miles ESE of Kirkham at the head of the Ribble estuary.
OS Map Ref SD463314 Lund St John the Evangelist, Church Lane, Clifton-with-Salwick, Preston, PR4 0ZE