CLAUGHTON, a township and parish in the Lancaster division of the south of the sands portion of the Hundred of Lonsdale, the polling district of Lancaster, and the poor law union of Caton; number of acres statute about 2,200. The village is 7 miles E. N. E. of Lancaster. The hall is of early date. The church dedicated to St Chad existed 1070, rebuilt in 14th century, and 1815, traces of Norman stile on the old edifice, living a rectory, patron Heirs of T. Fenwick, Esq. Agriculture is almost the sole employment of the population, which in 1801 amounted to 71; 1811, 92; 1821, 123; 1831, 116; - this is the smallest parish in the county as regards population. There are 2 daily and 1 Sunday school. Two thirds of the land at least are pasture, average rent per acre £1. 2s. Flags and slates are quarried, and there is a petrifying spring. Annual value of property 1815, £1,551; 1829, £1, 521.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.