St Bartholomew’s church was established before 1230, the tower being added around 1450 and was rebuilt in 1506, with chantries added to the north and south of the altar in 1519 and 1530. The font, dating from 1520, was a gift from the Bradley family of Bradley Hall and the family initials are on the shields decorating the sides.
The church was altered again in 1706 and in 1754 a west gallery was added for the choir and orchestra. John Wesley preached in the church in 1752 but was prevented from returning in 1753.
A major restoration was carried out in 1873 during which the west gallery was removed and the windows of the building were extensively restored, it is mostly due to this work that the fabric of the church is in such good condition.