From the Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. IV, London, 1831.” (in Salford History Library)
“UNSWORTH, a Chapelry in the Parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, Hundred of Salford, county Palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles (S.S.E.) from Bury.
The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the Archdeaconry and diocese of Chester endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1,000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwich.
The chapel, dedicated to St. George, was consecrated in 1730. James Lancaster, in 1737, bequeathed certain property, now producing £12/12/- per annum, for teaching ten poor children.”
“St. George’s Church, Unsworth, was rebuilt in 1843, on the site of one erected in 1729. It is a beautiful Gothic structure, to which a handsome parsonage is attached. The exterior of the church has a light and elegant appearance, and the altar is a beautiful piece of workmanship. The sum of £2,000 were raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £500 from the Church Building Society; and enclosed in 1848, at an expense of upwards of £1,200. The Rev. Benjamin Crompton is the incumbent of the curacy.” - Whellan & Co. Directory, 1853. - Bury Central Library, LA910.3 WHE.
Entered here August 18, 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.