There has been a Christian presence on the site since the early 1300’s. Originally a chanrty chapel, it was closed for over 100 years as a result of the Reformation. A new chapel was consecrated, the building having been a prison, in the mid 1600’s. It was enlarged in the early 1700’s and again in 1774.
The church is located on the side of Holcombe hill, on what was once the main road between Holcombe Brook and Ramsbottom. The growth of Ramsbottom during the Industrial revolution, resulted in the building of a daughter church (St. Paul, Ramsbottom) in the early 1840’s, but the ever increasing population resulted in the old chapel being demolished, and the present church built and consecrated in 1853. Originally a chapel of ease of St. Mary, Bury, it became a parish in 1866.