Photograph courtesy of and © of Mike Berrell
St Luke's Church, on the site of the old chapel of Heywood which existed in 1640, was built in 1863, at a cost of upwards of £10,000, is in the Decorated English style, comprises a nave of 80 feet by 24, with aisles, and a chancel of 42 feet by 22; includes a private mortuary chapel, erected at great cost additional to that of the church; is ornamented with coloured marble and alabaster, and has a detached tower, with a spire 185 feet high.
The church is one of the finest in Lancashire. It is specially noted for its stained glass windows, magnificent organ, and grand peal of eight bells.
The living of St Luke's is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester; gross value in 1894, £400 with residence.