A chapelry in the parish of BURY, hundred of SALFORD, county palatine of LANCASTER, 6 miles (N.by W.) from Bury, with which the population is returned.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Bury.
The manufacture of cotton is here carried on to a considerable extent.
A new road has lately been made to Blackburn.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. II, London, 1831, Page 112.
Entered here 5 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.