A chapelry in the parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, 3-1/2 miles (S.W.) from Newton in Mackerfield, containing 911 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Warrington.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, Vol. 1, London, 1831, p. 318.
Entered here 2 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.