Holy Trinity Church was built on Accrington Road at a cost of £2918 in 1835-1836.
During the time Parliament had set aside a grant of £1.5 million for the building of new churches and the cost of building Holy Trinity came from that fund. It was consecrated by Bishop Sumner on 10th November 1836.
The architect was Lewis Vulliamy, who is also responsible for designing St.Johns in Worsthorne.
Like most other churches there are many stained glass windows that have been given to the church in memory of people. In particular the Chancel windows, the north being presented by Mary Veerers of Coal Clough Lane in memory of her brother James Heyworth. The middle window was donated by George Stansfield of Ashfield House and the South one was a gift from James Roberts of Tarleton House.
The church closed in 1871-1872 so improvements could be made. Various changes were made including the addition of a stained glass window as memorial to Mr and Mrs Dugdale of Ivy Bank.
In 1879 a font was presented to the church in memory of one of the churches ardent supporters, James Roberts. It was a gift given by his three surviving children and was simple but beautiful in design.
Another addition was to the 80 foot high tower. In 1889, 8 bells were placed inside the tower, and although the church had a place for a clock no such item was in place for 40 years.
Few changes were made after the 1870’s with the exception of electricity in 1906. Although the church had a graveyard it was closed in 1965 and the headstones preserved by being placed around the perimeter of the church. Holy Trinity finally closed in 1989, a drop in parishioners being the main cause following a major re-development of the area. The church has now been converted into flats and although not a place of worship, it remains an important landmark.
An interesting story regarding Holy Trinity made the local paper in 1889. 31 year old Henry William Boardman from Blackburn had been drinking in local pubs and learnt about the body of rich man, Mr Holgate, being buried in the graveyard with some of his wealth. Late that night Mr Boardman decided to enter Mr Holgate’s’ grave, but he mistakenly entered the wrong grave, and had get difficulty getting out. After discovering the opened grave the sexton informed the police and the story soon spread, subsequently when Mr Boardman returned the next day to retrieve his pipe he had left, there was a small crowd and Mr Boardman fled. He was eventually tracked down in 1890 and sent to prison for 6 months.