Towneley Chapel in Towneley Hall
A chapel is believed to have been in existence at Towneley Hall since the 13th century.
The present chapel was built some time after 1515 in the gatehouse wing.
In the early 1700’s the gatehouse wing was taken down and the chapel moved to the north wing.
The Towneley family have adhered to the Catholic faith for centuries and during the forbidden years Towneley Chapel was the centre of catholic life in the north of England.
This chapel served the Catholics for a large area until 1817 when Burnley Wood Chapel was built, after which Towneley Chapel continued as the family chapel until about 1895.