St Mary’s is set slightly apart from the main town and is thought to have first been built in Saxon times. However, it has been rebuilt several times with a lot of expansion in the 1700s due to the wealth created by the wool trade. A few early items remain, notably the Norman doorway and the font which if thought to be 15th century.
The last major work was undertaken by Paley and Austin in 1873 and created the Victorian interior seen today.
For much of its history, the parish church was a chapel of ease within the parish of Kirkby Ireleth.