Broughton in Furness is an ancient market town close to the Duddon estuary, originally part of the parish of Kirkby Ireleth. It has a town square laid out in Georgian times which contains an obelisk built to commemorate the golden jubilee of George III in 1810 and fish slabs once used for selling fish caught in the estuary. On one side of the square is the Town Hall, now a Tourist Information centre.
Broughton was once a centre of the wool trade and for the manufacture of oak swills, a type of basket. The censuses of the 1800s show people working in many of the trades associated with a market town such as cobblers, blacksmiths, saddlers, carriers, shopkeepers, dressmakers, etc. A livestock market is still held on alternate weeks.
Today many of these trades have disappeared and people are more likely to be employed in the tourist industry.