Bolton le Sands appears in the Domesday Book where it was known as 'Bodeltone'. Located on the shores of Morecambe Bay on the Kent estuary, this village was once involved in fishing. Shifting sands in the bay area have brought to an end the fishing and other shipping activities that were important in the region in previous centuries.
The church in Bolton le Sands was founded before 1094 and was originally dedicated to St. Michael. It is now dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The tower is the oldest part of the present structure and is supposed to have been built about 1500. The structure has undergone a number of more recent rebuildings and renovations.
The Lancaster Kendal canal, built c1772 passes just inland of the village. The railway built in the mid 1840s follows a more coastal route and passes between the village and the estuary, leaving the village sandwiched between the canal and the railway.
The parish of Bolton le Sands also includes the communities of Nether Kellet, Hest Bank and Slyne. Formerly, it also included the community of Carnforth, which was transferred to the neighbouring parish of Warton in 1208.
Bolton le Sands also has a 17th century grammar school, built in 1637 and extended in 1857.