A township in Deane parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2 miles WNW of Bolton. Acres, 1,630. Real property, £4,542; of which £109 are in mines and £250 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 826; in 1861, 955. Houses, 180.
The manor belonged to the Heaton family in the time of Edward III. Coal, building-stone, and slate flags abound.
From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England And Wales, by John Marius Wilson. London, 1872.
Entered here 22 November 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.