From an article in the Bolton Journal in the 1880s, reproduced here by the kind permission of the Bolton News.
The above chapel, which is in connection with the Wesley Circuit, was opened in March 1872, by the Rev. John Rattenbury, the Venerable Wesleyan divine who was at that time stationed at Nottingham, and who preached from the text Hebrews xi.,4. The chapel was the outcome of one of the schemes of extension which have made Bolton Wesleyanism so important a factor in the religious life of the town. The building which is Gothic in style, is of brick, with polished Yorkshire stone dressings. The internal dimensions of the chapel are 77ft. by 46 ft., and the building will accommodate 950 persons. It is 36ft. 6in. high from floor to ceiling, the pews and pulpit are of pitch pine, and the organ is by Messrs. Conacher and Co., Huddersfield. The cost of the chapel was £5,500. A lecture room 42ft. by 23ft. is attached to the chapel, and an infant school has been erected at the sole cost of Messrs. T. Taylor and Sons, Grecian Mills. The architects for the chapel were Messrs. Cunliffe and Freeman, and the builder Mr. J. Martin. Since its erection the deepest interest has been manifested in the success of the chapel which is situated on the extreme confines of the borough and bordering on Great Lever. Firm and fast friends of Victoria Chapel and all its religious ramifications and enterprises have been the Barlows, the Taylors, and the Walkers.