Deane Methodist Chapel was founded in 1867 on Moss Street just round the corner from Pikes Lane. In about 1871 Moss Street was renamed Fern Street and Pikes Lane became Deane Road. The 1867-1892 baptism register reflects this change with the location changing from Pikes Lane to Fern Street in December 1871. From then to c.1927 it was known as Fern Street Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1927 a new Wesleyan church opened on Deane Road a short distance to the west, and the original chapel became a cinema. The church on Deane Road was demolished in the 1980s.