St Peter’s Church was built in 1849 on the site of an ancient farm. The land and the funds to finance the church were provided by the Wright family who were local squires. John Hick, a local industrialist and later MP for Bolton, was very involved with the church in its early days and was responsible for the installation of several stained glass windows, the church bells and a turret clock – all of which survive to the present day.
The church is built in neo-gothic style, popular in Victorian England, with a strong vertical emphasis in the internal design with sharply pointed arches.
Today, St Peter’s is one of 13 Churches in the Bolton Deanery of Walmsley and one of 6 churches in the Turton Moorland Ministry. The congregation consists of a wide age group drawn from the village and surrounding area. Services are held on Sunday and Wednesday mornings and the church has a lively Sunday School and a number of weekday activities.
In the year 2000 the 150th anniversary of the consecration of St Peter’s Church was celebrated in style with many activities including a parade with the Bishop of Manchester led by a brass band.
Clergy Who Have Served In The Parish of St Peter, Belmont
1850 James Dawson (Curate)
1860 William Wall M.A. (Curate) Admitted 1863
1885 William Featherston Salt
1903 David Matthews Thomas B.A.
1912 John Charles Campbell
1935 William Thwaites
1951 John Smith B.D.
1952 James Henry Martyn Barrow B.A.
1956 Thomas Gregory
1965 Alfred Parker B.A.
1988 Benjamin Paul Humphries B.A.
1997 David Roy Jones M.A.