Before 1800 Belmont (originally known as Hordern) was a tiny hamlet consisting of two ancient farms with half a dozen cottages situated close to the Manchester to Preston turnpike. By the mid 19th century the population had grown to around 1,000. Work was provided by Ryecroft Mill and Belmont Bleach Works.
In the early 1800s, before Saint Peter’s Church was built, services were held in the loft of a stable in Maria Square. In 1832 an Independent Sunday School was built in the village followed by a Church of England Sunday school in 1841. There were also meetings held by Wesleyans. A Congregational Chapel, named Bethel Chapel, was built in 1838 then replaced by a new one in 1898 which in turn was demolished in 1980. Today the village is mainly a residential suburb of Bolton with its own thriving primary school, two pubs, a post office/general shop and a sailing club.