St Paul's, Astley Bridge
St. Paul’s, built in 1847-8, was consecrated by the first Bishop of Manchester, James Prince Lee on the 22nd June 1848.
The total number of sittings were 745, of which 455 were free. The site of the church and burial ground covered an acre of ground and was the gift of the Earl of Wilton, the cost of the build being £4,000.
Prior to the consecration of the church, services had been held in a building known as Ash Grove Chapel, the property of Mr. Garnett Taylor. A small day school existed nearby.
In 1867 the church was enlarged, the north and south aisles being replaced by pillars providing two side aisles 13’ wide, and new walls erected north and south. This increased the seating accommodation by 423.
The first school and teachers’ house were opened on 21st June 1859 at a total cost of £2,198. A new school and lecture hall costing £1,404 was built in 1871 and the girls’ school in 1881 at a cost of £3,118.