St Mark's Church is located on Buncer Lane in the former parish of Witton and has been designated as a Grade II listed building. It is one of the oldest churches in the Blackburn diocese and was built in 1836–38 to a Romanesque (Norman) design. There are two tiers of round arched windows, the upper ones being smaller and narrower than the lower ones. The tower situated above the sanctuary has a gabled octagonal top and spire. The south transept was added in the 1870s. Between 1881 and 1887 the church was restored and the north transept and a vestry added.
About the end of the 18th century more than half of the ancient township of Witton was enclosed to form Witton Park. The estate was owned by the Feilden family, who built and lived in Witton House and created the Park. Joseph Fielden gave the land for the church and contributed towards its building and the decorating of the stained glass windows. The Feilden family coat-of-arms can be seen above the main entrance porch and several members of the family are buried in the vaults below the church.
The Parish of Witton was abolished in 1934 and incorporated into the civil parish of Blackburn. In 2005 the Parish of Christ the King was formed consisting of St Luke with St Philip’s Church and St Mark’s Witton.